In 2017, the Tower Hamlets Together (THT) Vanguard was awarded funding to deliver a coaching programme to support frontline staff, clinical leads and senior managers in delivering integrated, person-centred care.
The coaching programme included;
- Accredited coaching training for leads and managers
- Training of Trainers programme to develop an in-house team of trainers within Tower Hamlets.
A two-day coaching for health and wellbeing programme is currently being offered to all frontline staff within Tower Hamlets Together, giving staff the skills to apply coaching to conversations with service users, patients, carers and colleagues.
What is ‘Coaching for Health and Wellbeing’?
‘Coaching for Health and Wellbeing’ is a term used to describe interventions that ‘coach’ or actively support people to self-care. It involves a move away from a dependent model to one that is person-centred, empowering, and based around a person’s own aspirations and goals. It combines coaching, psychology and behaviour change techniques to enable transformative conversations in a health, care and wellbeing setting.
Why are we using this approach?
THT is changing the way that we work. Teams are being asked to deliver person-centred, integrated care. Coaching for Health and Wellbeing skills support this new way of working and Tower Hamlets Together is funding this programme to support these changes. Course participants will be able to use coaching techniques to change the conversations with patients, service users, their families and carers to encourage shared decision and person-centred care.
Additional benefits include:
- Increased patient activation
- Increases in preventative behaviours and self-management
- Improved two-way communication and partnership working
- Long term sustained benefits in terms of cost reductions and service development
- Reported increase in job satisfaction amongst health and care professionals actively using the approach.
The programme is highly experiential with many opportunities to build on existing skills, practice new skills, share experiences, develop relationships and network with colleagues.
The course will cover:
- The coaching process and its application to health, care and wellbeing
- Encouraging activation and self-management
- Shared decision-making and personalization
- Understanding motivation and readiness to change
What people say about the programme
‘This training was more enlightening and useful than any other course I have attended in my 30 years of nursing. These are essential skills for NHS staff with the current demography and client base’ – Nurse
‘This has been for me, the best consultation skills course I have ever been on and it was amazing to see how it can be done in the 10-minute consultation as demonstrated’ – GP
‘I have more confidence in having consultations with patients due to the training. Patients feel more involved in the decision making of their health and they feel more confident in my skills and advice’ – Pharmacist
Click on the link to book yourself into a training session: http://thcepn.com/health-coaching
For more information about the development of coaching skills across THT, please contact email@example.com